Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Evening Devotions




The Family Evening Devotion


1) Responsive reading
Head of the household- Lord Jesus, you are the light of the world.
Family- The light no darkness can overcome. 
Head of the household - Stay with us for it is evening
Family - And the day is almost over
Head of the Household - Let your light scatter the darkness
Family - Let it shine in our hearts and lives, Amen.

 2) Apostles Creed (read together) 

I believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

3) Explore God’s Word. The goal: help your family interact with the God's 
     Word.

      A) Find out what’s going on in the story

      B) Discover the families initial thoughts, feelings, and ideas of the story.


4) Connect through Christ. The goal: Growing deeper, knowing your role  
      through Christ: 

Pursue this question: 

Q) What changes do I personally need to make to daily live better for Christ?



5) Resurrection Response!
There is so much we can‘t see or understand.  God does know our struggles.  We do matter to God. That is why he enlightens us so we don‘t have to be in the dark.  He provides answers for us to help us sort through things we could never discover on our own.  He made sure it was written down for us. ―For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the 
Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.‖  (Romans 15:4)   



6) LUTHER'S EVENING PRAYER
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night.  For into Your hands, I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things.  Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me.  Amen.

7) The Lord's Prayer



Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever.
                                                                     Amen. 

8) Hymn



                               After this, go to sleep immediately with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment